Saturday, November 20, 2004

Recent Books

A Year in the Merde
This is a funny book in places as the author gives a fictional description of a first year in Paris. It made me laugh in places but having just read cooking with Fernet Branca this did not come close. I left the book not really knowing whether he liked the French and it would have been good if it was clear on this. I also got fed up with the female conquests. Can't help feeling the author was trying to achieve in print what may not have been forthcoming in real life. Rating 4/10

Stasiland
This was a fascinating book. I had to keep reminding myself that this was not a novel but based on true stories from East Germany and the effect on lives of the Berlin Wall. It is very well written and extremely moving in places. I would recommend it highly. Rating 8/10

No comments: