Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Secret History

by Donna Tartt
This book was written over 20 years ago so I am surprised that I have only just come across it as she publishes her third novel.
The book starts with a death and then proceeds for the first half of the book to tell us why it happened;  then in the second half of the book, the consequences of it happening to the protagonists. These said protagonists are a greek class at a small exclusive college in Vermont. The book is beautifully written and left me wanting to do a course in greek mythology! However, while knowing some more might of added to my enjoyment, not knowing any of the greek myths did not detract from how enjoyable a read this was. I am still musing over what I felt about all of the characters. They were all flawed in some way but who was good and who was bad is something I will still be thinking about weeks from now. That has to be a good book doesn't it? 9/10

No comments: