Sunday, June 28, 2015

The Emperor Waltz

by Philip Hensher
First off, this is a long book. I am not sure that splitting stories up between other stories makes this a novel as opposed to a collection of short stories. That aside these are engaging stories on the whole. I particularly liked the story of Duncan trying to set up the first Gay bookshop in London. I particularly disliked the story of Christian, a student at the bauhaus. He and all the other characters were particularly horrible and the last section featuring them was something in nothing. Throw in some christians being fed to the lions and middleclass kids sniffing poppers while the parents had a very nice party downstairs and you have a good collection of stories. Part of the fun was trying to find a link. I failed to find one. Fun at the time but not a book I would race back to. 6/10

No comments: