Saturday, December 28, 2019

Review of 2019

Have read more non-fiction this year.
Enjoyed Left Bank a lot-a book about the Paris Left bank during and immediately after the second world war. Revolution Francaise was an interesting look at Macrons rise to power.
On the fiction side I have read and really enjoyed the tin drum. Also reread the first two books of Remembrance of things past and Anna Karenina.
The Booker had an interesting list this year. I particularly enjoyed the Elif Shafak and the winner was ok, the Bernardino and not The Testaments, which I was disappointed by. However, my two favourites were Lanny by Max Porter and The man who saw everything by Deborah Levy, neither of which made the shortlist. A mention to for Salman Rushdie's Quichotte a crazy enjoyable retelling of the Cervantes original.
In keeping with the Booker Prize this year I refuse to pick an absolute favourite!

No comments: