Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Luminaries

by Eleanor Catton
Let me start by saying this was a long book. It also has a very intricate structure set around star signs and astrological charts that I did not fully get.
It has a lot of characters and it took me until well after half way through the book to work out who everybody was.
Having said all this there was something strangely compelling about the book that drew me in to the story. The story takes place in New Zealand at the time of the gold rush in the 1860's. We find out very quickly that someone has died(murdered?), somebody appears to have attempted suicide(but did they) and somebody else has disappeared-all on the same evening. We spend the rest of the book trying to find out what actually happened and why. Definitely a book to read in print rather than on a kindle-I seemed to be forever going back to recall what had happened earlier or which date we were at. 7/10

No comments: