Saturday, December 31, 2016

Round up 2016

A year when I read a greater number of non-fiction books including a very enjoyable biography of Napoleon and books around the French revolution and France after the second world war.
I also reread War and Peace and 3 of the Neopolitan quartet by Elena Ferrante which I mostly enjoyed. Continued in crime with Harry Bosch and Maigret.
I also reread A Christmas Carol which is always fun and sure to bring a tear to the eye.
Putting aside the classics, hard to find a really standout book this year. Maybe Hot Milk by Deborah Levy for the beauty of the language or The Childhood of Jesus by JM Coetzee. Ian Macewan and Nutshell was so quirky I enjoyed it but I have to say nothing that will stay with me for a long time.
The Booker was disappointing with the winner being funny but maybe more suited to a reader more in touch with America.

No comments: