Saturday, December 26, 2015

Round up 2015

Have read a number of series books this year, starting with the MadAddam trilogy and starting the Tariq Ali Islam quintet(covered 3 books). Also read Irene from the Pierre Lemaitre crime trilogy, and reread Money from the Rougon Macquart series. Add to this some Harry Bosch and Maigret and I guess you conclude it was the year of the series.
However, my book of the year comes down to one of three from no series.
A Year of Marvellous Ways by Sarah Winman, a rereading of Great Expectations by Dickens and The Great Swindle by Pierre Lemaitre. If I had to pick one it would probably be Sarah Winman by a whisker, for the way it captures magic in the real.
It would be wrong to end this post without a mention of A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. How this did not win the Booker escapes me. It was the hardest read this year but a book I could not keep away from despite having to put it down for a day or two en route.

No comments: